more on delegating subdomain

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Mon Feb 17 15:41:56 UTC 2003

Matt Kehler wrote:

> I'm not sure what you mean. Our primary internal nameserver
> (wrha001ns04) DOES do some forwarding to other domains.  It IS
> authoritative for wrha.mb.ca.
>
> Basically..we have 2 bind servers internally for name resolution,
> anything they can't resolve they forward to internet accessible
> nameservers. we created a subdomain of ad.wrha.mb.ca to handle our win2k
> implementation.  Since everything on our network points to our 2 name
> servers...we just figured we would add ad.wrha.mb.ca, delegate it to a
> win2k dns server, and away we go.
>
> It seemed as though simply adding the proper entries within our
> wrha.mb.ca zone file to delegate the ad subdomain to the win2k server
> was all we had to do.
>
> I think that makes sense...:)

Would the problem not exist if, in addition to delegating

     ad.wrha.mb.ca

to a different nameserver, the new AD zones had been defined as slave
zones on the existing BIND servers?  That way, the existing servers
would still be autoritative for both

     wrha.mb.ca

and its subdomain

     ad.wrha.mb.ca.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov