dns on solaris 8

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Feb 13 17:39:24 UTC 2003

DM wrote:

> thanks for the info.
>
> I've tried hosts: files dns. I can ping both hosts defined in hosts and dns
> but i can only do nslookup to hosts defined in dns.

That's to be expected. nslookup, as it comes from the BIND distribution, and as
it exists on Solaris 8, is only a DNS troubleshooting tool -- or at least has
pretensions of being such -- so it doesn't care about /etc/nsswitch, /etc/hosts
or look at any other source of name data.

On some OS'es, nslookup has been hacked to look at /etc/hosts or other naming
services. But that's definitely the exception, not the rule.

- Kevin