delegating a subdomain not working

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Feb 12 23:17:58 UTC 2003

Matt Kehler wrote:

>I want to delegate a subdomain of my zone to another of our name
>servers.  In my main domain zone file i have added as per below:
>
>## zone file for domain.com
>
>newsub.domain.com.   IN  NS  ns.newsub.domain.com.
>ns.newsub.domain.com.  IN  A  192.168.0.1

You should really have at least 2 nameservers, for redundancy.

>Basically...page #124 out of Crickets cookbook.  Is there something
>that is left out that I have not done?  Those 2 lines added to my
>current named.conf should do it, correct?

Um, you mean, in the zone file of the parent zone, right (as you said
above)? The delegation alone doesn't require anything to be added to
named.conf, but of course there may be legitimate reasons to define the
subzone as type stub, forward, or slave.

                - Kevin