some hosts in local nameserver; query for others

Cricket Liu cricket at nxdomain.com
Wed Feb 12 18:46:05 UTC 2003

On Tuesday, February 11, 2003, at 08:37  PM, Jim Gottlieb wrote:

> Hi.  I'm told Bind 9 can do this, but I've spent most of the day
> trying and I haven't figured out quite the right syntax.
>
> I'd like to have our local namserver have information on certain hosts
> in a domain, and for those hosts it doesn't know about, query in the
> usual way.  For example, say I'd like to repoint chat.yahoo.com to one
> of our own web pages, but every other *.yahoo.com lookup should go out
> to Yahoo's nameservers.  With the usual setup, any *.yahoo.com not
> listed in our files would return a NOTFOUND.
>
> It looks like setting 'type forward' should be able to do something
> like this, except that with a forward zone, one can't provide a file
> name with static information.  So maybe it's a 'type hint'?
>
> I'm running 9.2.2rc1 under Solaris 8.  Thanks...

You could set up a zone called chat.yahoo.com, with just an SOA
and NS records, and an A record attached to chat.yahoo.com.
That wouldn't affect resolution of other yahoo.com domain names
(except those that end in chat.yahoo.com).

cricket

The DNS and BIND Cookbook, now available!
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dnsbindckbk/