How to size our servers for many zones hosting ?

enrique at podernet.com.mx enrique at podernet.com.mx
Wed Feb 12 18:33:38 UTC 2003

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, Aktarus73 wrote:

=>Very interesting facts...
=>
=>When plan to have 2 conventional Primary and Secondary Name Servers to honor
=>basic domains registering.
=>Our customers will have typical zones with 2 NS, a couple of MX and 2 or 3 A
=>or CNAME references (@, WWW, FTP, POP3, SMTP will be a max).
=>
=>I suppose the best thing to do is to simulate load with auto-generated fake
=>zones on an isolated box... just to see...
=>
=>I don't ynow if it is possible to limit our NS to be "authoritative only"
=>(no recursive, no cache) and how to do this.
=>And does it worth regarding memory usage ?

It is really worth to separate services indeed. In a server oro two have
Authoritative Only Name Servers (resolving for your registered domains).
Those AONS should be non-recursive, should answer queries to anyone.

On the other hand you may set up a couple of resolving only name servers,
those should be able to be queried recursively only by your clients, have no
zones but hint and 0.0.127.in-addr.arpa.  Thus being cache only,

If you are really worried about the load, you should not, unless you have a
really busy NS. The question is what is a busy NS? Well, in general terms a
really busy NS are those root servers or gTLD NS and in some cases those ccTLD
NS. Other name servers may become busy if you have a few thousands of domain
names. Resolvers would become busy with a few thousands clients querying.

If you don't have the resources for setting up 4 or more NS you may run
different instances (an AONS and a resolver) in the same box. Running two
separate chrooted instances of bind in the same box.

--

-- 'You tread upon my patience' -- William Shakespeare, "Henry IV"

The river is within us, the sea is all about us.
José Enrique Díaz Jolly				e-mail: enrique at podernet.com.mx