creating MX records for subdomain

Cricket Liu cricket at nxdomain.com
Tue Feb 11 19:35:29 UTC 2003

On Tuesday, February 11, 2003, at 11:32  AM, Bell, William IT wrote:

> We need to create a subdomain within our parent domain.  This
> subdomain is
> only necessary to provide a new product with an avenue to do a DNS
> lookup on
> an MX record for this new subdomain so they can deliver mail to a
> specific
> mail server (this is how the new software determines which mail server
> email
> should be delivered).  So the only real resource record in this
> subdomain
> would be that MX record.  At this point, this MX record will point to
> the
> parent domain's mail server (MX record), but that will change when we
> turn
> on the new mail servers.
>
> In any case, we don't need to delegate this subdomain, so it should be
> pretty simple, right?  Can I just create an INCLUDE file to add
> something
> like this to the end of the parent domain's zone file:
>
> include file:  spcl.zixvpm.mycompany
> ====================================
> $ORIGIN zixvpm.mycompany.com.
> 		IN	MX	20	mail.mycompany.com.
> ====================================

Very close.  You don't want the MX record to start with whilespace,
since that will cause it to inherit the most recently specified owner
name.  You want this:

$ORIGIN zixvpm.mycompany.com.
@	IN	MX	20 mail.mycompany.com.

Since it's only a single record, you could also just put that record
into the mycompany.com zone data file:

zixvpm.mycompany.com.	IN	MX	20 mail.mycompany.com.

cricket

The DNS and BIND Cookbook, now available!
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dnsbindckbk/