Looking for Information on Split DNS

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Feb 10 21:43:22 UTC 2003

Bill Smith wrote:

>My company is about to embark on a major effort in setting up Split DNS w/in
>our environment.  To help in this effort, I was hoping to find some
>information out on the web that might provide some technical background.
>Unfortunately, what I've found through searches of google and other sites
>thus far has been more of the theory of Split DNS as opposed to specific
>ways to implement it which is what I'm after. A whitepaper of sorts is
>probably a better way to describe what I'm looking for.
>
>If anyone has any such information or can point me to where I can find it,
>it would be greatly appreciated.

Hmmm... Is there really enough here to fill a white paper? How about a
white post-it note?

You run one version of the zone(s) on one nameserver instance (or
possibly "view", in the case of BIND 9). You run another version of the
zone(s) on another nameserver instance (or "view"). You serve up the
different versions to different audiences, typically "internal" clients
versus "external" clients.

                                            - Kevin