Host my own domain on Linux Red Hat 7.3

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Feb 7 22:36:55 UTC 2003

UAE wrote:

>Hi, could someone tell me how to host my own domain?
>
>Currently I'm using an advanced DNS management service to redirect the 'A'
>to an ip address but I'm using NS1.DNSPROVIDER.COM and NS2.DNSPROVIDER.COM
>
>This works fine however there are limitations and I would like to have my
>own NS1.MYDOMAIN.COM and if required NS2.MYDOMAIN.COM
>
>to maybe host more domains.
>
>Please let me know if I could run the dns server on my web server machine
>(Linux Red Hat 7.3) ? Also I have Webmin installed which could help for the
>config.

Well, technically all you need are 2 nameservers on permanent addresses
configured to serve the zone authoritatively (typically one is a slave
of the other).

Practically speaking, you should have a good working knowledge of DNS
and BIND (this is a BIND mailing list/newsgroup, so I'll assume that's
the nameserver implementation you'll use) in order to run your domains
securely and reliably without annoying the rest of us who run
nameservers and may potentially need to resolve names in your domains
from time to time. Hopefully that didn't sound too arrogant, but there
is a *lot* of misconfigured DNS out there, most of which could have been
avoided with a little advance education. Learn before you leap.

                                            - Kevin