Microsoft Active Directory and bind serial numbers

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Wed Feb 5 15:59:13 UTC 2003

Michael Iams wrote:

> [...]

And Cricket Liu replied:

>>>On the Domain Controller, use the Registry Editor to change the
>>>REG_DWORD value UseDynamicDNS to 0 at this Registry key:
>>>
>>>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters
And I replied:

>> Besides Cricket's reply, with which I am not in 100% agreement,
>> you can place the "_" zones on a W2k DNS server and have the BIND
>> servers be slaves for the zones.  See the list archives for more
>> details.  The SRV records that the DCs place in DNS are required for
>> W2k to operate.

And Cricket Liu replied:

>You're not "in 100% agreeement" with my description of how
>to turn off dynamic updates on a Domain Controller?  What
>on Earth does that mean?  If you think my description is wrong,
>just say so, and tell us all why.
>
>Have you read Microsoft Knowledge Base article 198767?

I just read 198767, and it had one piece that was not in Cricket's
reply.  It might have been implied, but at first reading I did not
think it was implied.  The implication is that if you disable DDNS
for the SRV records, then you MUST add those records manually.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov