DNS version

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Feb 4 22:51:28 UTC 2003

> Bill Manning wrote:
> >
> > 	right/wrong?  depends in some degree on who is asking the
> question.
> > 	the presumption that all version requests are from attackers is
> > 	false.
>
> So I didn't presume it - see the paragraph before the one you
> quoted.
>
> > 	version identification does help track code diffusion, which can
> > 	be useful in determining the overall health of the system.
>
> A good point, it also gives you another criteria to assess the
> health of your parent domains.
>
> However your assessing the health of the overall health of the
> system doesn't necessarily result in my service being more
> secure. The DNS has been a mess for years, one more survey is
> not going to fix it.
>
> > 	remember, the DNS is a public database. if it can be queried
> > 	it will be.   If your that paranoid, retreating into your
> > 	walled garden might be the best thing.
>
> The issue is not if it is queried, but the risk and course of a
> compromise of the DNS server. For many Internet based business
> loss of control of their DNS could be very unpleasant.

	Returning the version does not change that risk.

	In practice the attacks are just tried.  They either succeed
	fully, partially (e.g. DoS rather than remote shell) or are
	repelled.

	Also turning off the version does not stop remote sites
	finger printing the server.  This will get to to within one
	or two version of the exact version if not the exact version.

	Caches partially finger print a remote server everytime
	they make a query just to handle the protocol changes.

	Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org