DNS version

Ron Hall thorn at cc.mcgill.ca
Tue Feb 4 14:54:19 UTC 2003

==>I can not let this statement go unchallenged.  Others have posted
==>previously that there is no reason for this information to remain
==>private; I agree with those persons.  This falls into the category of
==>"security by obscurity", which is not security.  If I were a hacker
==>looking for a DNS server to attack, what would I do?
==>
==>a) query the server and look at the response:
==>   1) "none of your business"
==>      Is the DNS administrator trying to hide the fact that he/she is
==>           running a vulnerable version of BIND?
==>      Is the DNS administrator running a good version of BIND?
==>   2) "BIND 8.x.x"
==>      Is this really 8.x.x, which is vulnerable?
==>      Has the DNS administrator given me a fake string, so that I will
==>           waste my time trying to hack a non-hackable version?
==>   3) "BIND 9.2.1"
==>      Is this really 9.2.1?
==>      Is it vulnerable, and the DNS administrator wants me to
==>           believe that it is not?
==>
==>b) Try my penetration scripts on the DNS server anyway without wasting
==>   time on checking the version.  If the scripts succeed, then I have
==>   found a vulnerable DNS server.  If not, then I can proceed to try
==>   attack another DNS server.

	I'm forced to agree. It is no different than sendmail
	hiding versions does not stop one from having a poorly, badly
	or wrongly configured sendmail. If it is vulnerable the
	version information is NOT going to be a prophylatic for your
	system. Having appropriate layer of saran warp and aluminum
	foil (metaphorically speaking) will.

	Just my 3 centimes...

	HTH

	As Always