alias on domain name

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Sun Feb 2 22:44:42 UTC 2003

> Hello,
>
> 	My DNS was on hn.org, and now I have a private DNS (bind 9.2.1).
> 	I'd like to add an alias on 'speedblue.org' :
>
> % host -n speedblue.org
> speedblue.org is an alias for speedblue.dyndns.org.
> speedblue.dyndns.org has address 193.253.181.204

	Well speedblue.org is a zone.  You cannot have a CNAME at
	top of zone as it contains atleast NS and SOA records.
	Adding a CNAME would break the no CNAME and other data rule.
	Some nameservers don't enforce this but it causes problems.
	See RFC 1034 for why this is not allowed.  BIND 9 does
	enforce this.

	If you need speedblue.org to point to a http server add its
	address or use a fixed http server which returns a redirect.

	Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org