Intro and question

Dennis Carr ke6isf at spamcop.net
Wed Dec 31 02:57:15 UTC 2003

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 21:48:43 GMT
Barry Margolin <barmar at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> I see the intro -- where's the question?

Previously tried to discard that.  I posted the message before I
finished my coffee, found my answer by good ol' RTFM, and forgot to trim
the subject line.  My bad. =^^=

> What's a "tier 1" in the context of BIND?  The only networking-related
>
> tier 1 I know of is in reference to ISPs -- the major backbone
> providers.

As I understand it, in the context of DNS in general, the tier 1 server
would be for all intents the TLD manager, and is one step off the root
server (tier 0).  Maybe the nomenclature is a little different in
OpenNIC, not sure - I'm still exploring the O'Reilly book as I have
time.

-Dennis