Dynamic DNS

Mark Damrose mdamrose at elgin.cc.il.us
Tue Dec 16 21:54:50 UTC 2003

"Pascal offredo" <offredo.pascal at ifrance.com> wrote in message
news:brnmi0$89i$1 at sf1.isc.org...
> Le Tue, 16 Dec 2003 09:39:34 -0600, Chris Cox a écrit :

> here is a more detailed explanation :
>
> In fact this is rather a pseudo static address. The host declaration in
> the Dhcpd.conf file is :
>
> host win2k3
> {
> hardware ethernet 00:50:56:40:00:76;
> fixed-address 10.0.0.242;
> }
>
> the different statements
>
> ddns-update-style interim;
> ddns-domainname "pascal.athome";
> ignore client-updates;
> update-static-leases on;
>
> are also in the Dhcpd.conf file.
>
> the client (for the test) is a windows 2003 server.
>
> if I perform an ipconfig /renew everything works fine. Dhcpd gives the
> address and updates the records in the DNS zones (pascal.athome and
reverse zones).

> if I perform an ipconfig /release DHCPD can't find it in its address pool
> and writes "DHCPRELEASE of 10.0.0.242 from 00:50:56:40:00:76 via eth0 (not
> found))" in the log, but doesn't remove records it added previously in the
> DNS zones.
>
> In fact, my question is :
>
> Is DHCPD supposed to remove DNS records it added before when I perform an
> ipconfig /release command ?

No.

man dhcpd.conf
          The update-static-leases statement

            update-static-leases flag;

            The update-static-leases flag, if enabled, causes the
            DHCP  server  to  do  DNS updates for clients even if
            those clients are being  assigned  their  IP  address
            using a fixed-address statement - that is, the client
            is being given a static assignment.   This  can  only
            work  with the interim DNS update scheme.   It is not
            recommended because the DHCP server  has  no  way  to
            tell  that  the  update  has been done, and therefore
            will not delete the record when it  is  not  in  use.
            Also,  the  server  must attempt the update each time
            the client renews its lease, which could have a  sig­
            nificant  performance  impact  in  environments  that
            place heavy demands on the DHCP server.

> I'd like the hostname to be unresolvable when the machine is not up.

Use a dynamic address.  If you want to be certain that the server always
gets the same address, create a 2nd pool that allocates only 1 address, and
make sure that only this server is a member of the group allowed to get
addresses from that pool.