8.3 vs 8.4

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sat Dec 6 08:41:58 UTC 2003

In article <bqr5q9$1db5$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Mark <admin at asarian-host.net>
wrote:

> So much for your "clean" and "coherent design". They started from scratch
> with BIND9, so a lot of bugs are to be expected. But it also means BIND9,
> for all purposes and intent, is still beta-ware. And it shows.

Unfortunately, I have to agree.

At Genuity we upgraded our caching-only servers to BIND 9 because we
needed its support for multi-threading, and didn't have too many
problems (I think we had to bump up the query quota).

But when we tried installing it one one of our slave authoritative
servers, things didn't go as smoothly.  This happened while we were in
the process of downsizing, so we didn't have the resources to analyze
and troubleshoot, so we decided to stick with what worked (8.4.x, I
think).

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Woburn, MA