purpose of PTR record ?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Dec 3 22:43:45 UTC 2003

Rob Mortimer wrote:

>On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 23:19:40 -0500, Andrew <andrew at arda.homeunix.net>
>wrote:
>

>>PTR records map IP addresses to names, thus doing the reverse of A records.
>>
>>One use of PTR records that is being used more and more nowadays is to
>>verify the identity of mail servers before mail is accepted from them. I
>>know of more than one ISP that will not accept inbound mail from any
>>host that does not have a PTR record.
>>
>>The degree of extra security this provides is debatable, but people are
>>doing it nonetheless.
>>
>>Andrew
>>

>The RFC for mail servers requires a reverse record.

Pardon me, but which RFC would that be?

>As the authority
>for the PTR record resides with the ISP (owner of the IP address) and
>not the owner of the domain name this allows those of us that run mail
>servers to destinguish between a fully configured mail server and some
>muppet useing an SMTP engine to by-pass his ISP's mailserver to send
>SPAM from an ADSL connection in his bedroom. This assumes that the ISP
>does not set reverse records for it's dynamicly allocated IP address
>pool.
>
>NB Join any campain for revese MX records NOW.

I don't know what a "revese MX record" is, so I'm certainly not going to
campaign for such a thing.

Please don't be so blinded by your dislike of spam that you'll grab at
any mechanism you can that seems like it _might_ reduce spam _somewhat_.
Poorly-thought-through anti-spam measures will cause more damage to
Internet communications in the long run than spam itself will.

- Kevin