virtual domains and zone files

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Mon Dec 1 15:16:41 UTC 2003

Danny Mayer <mayer at gis.net> replied:

and Andrew <andrew at arda.homeunix.net> replied:

>I do have A records for io, callisto, and europa. They live in the
>arda.homeunix.net zone file.

You posted this zone file:

     # cat /etc/namedb/master/arda.homelinux.net.zone
     $ORIGIN .
     $TTL 10800      ; 3 hours
     arda.homelinux.net      IN SOA  europa.arda.homeunix.net.
     postmaster.arda.homeunix.net. (
                                       20030416   ; serial
                                       10800      ; refresh (3 hours)
                                       3600       ; retry (1 hour)
                                       604800     ; expire (1 week)
                                       3600       ; minimum (1 hour)
                                       )
                               NS      io.arda.homeunix.net.
                               NS      europa.arda.homeunix.net.
                               MX      10 callisto.arda.homeunix.net.

That file looks to me like the zone file for

     arda.homeunix.net

and that zone file has no "A" records.  Please post what you think is
your

     arda.homeunix.net

zone file -- the file that contains the "A" records.  And as it appears
that you have two zone files for the same zone, please post the
relevant lines from your named.conf file -- the lines that reference
each of these two files.
Barry S. Finkel
Computing and Instrumentation Solutions Division
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov