virtual domains and zone files

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Mon Dec 1 01:12:33 UTC 2003

At 03:44 PM 11/30/03, Andrew wrote:
>My mail server hosts a virtual domain that does not include any hosts in
>it. Here is the zone file I use with this domain.
>
># cat /etc/namedb/master/arda.homelinux.net.zone
>$ORIGIN .
>$TTL 10800      ; 3 hours
>arda.homelinux.net      IN SOA  europa.arda.homeunix.net.
>postmaster.arda.homeunix.net. (
>                                  20030416   ; serial
>                                  10800      ; refresh (3 hours)
>                                  3600       ; retry (1 hour)
>                                  604800     ; expire (1 week)
>                                  3600       ; minimum (1 hour)
>                                  )
>                          NS      io.arda.homeunix.net.
>                          NS      europa.arda.homeunix.net.
>                          MX      10 callisto.arda.homeunix.net.
>
>As things stand now, I can deliver mail to user at arda.homelinux.net but I
>would like to know if this zone file looks reasonable or if there are
>elements that don't need to be there.

Since you have no A records at all, neither the NS nor the MX records
are usable. If you are going to deliver mail to arda.homelinux.net you need
an A record for at least callisto. BIND 9 should complain about these records.
I don't see how you could deliver mail to that address unless it's all local to
that machine or you have host records that you are not telling us about.
You should have A records for io, europa and callisto.
I'm not sure why you are setting the origin. The file would look much
simpler you

There's no such thing as a virtual domain. Do you mean private, non-registered?

Danny