DNS not working

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Fri Aug 29 22:51:00 UTC 2003

> In article <bio1cu$1661$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Yogish <yogish.gk at ahsinc.com> wrote:
> >Hi
> >I made the changes susggested by barry, but still I was not successful in
> >pinging either czar.brokerserver or schuh.brokerserver. I did restart the
> >named daemon after changing the conf files, however there was no change
> >in the response I got. Would I have to restart the entire server for it
> >to work???. I would appreciate if there is something else which I can
> >try.
>
> Have you checked your log to see if it's reporting any errors when loading
> your zones?
>
> Is your resolver configured to point to your server?
>
> --
> Barry Margolin, barry.margolin at level3.com
> Level(3), Woburn, MA
> *** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to newsgroups.
> Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the grou
> p.

	Also RFC 1918 delegates 168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA not IN-ADDR.ARPA.
	Using a IN-ADDR.ARPA will block off other reverse lookups.
	If it leaks it may poison other caches.  Please adjust the
	zone name and contents so that it uses 168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA
	as the zone name.

	E.g.

$TTL 86400
@ IN SOA brokerserver. hostmaster.brokerserver.  (
	1 ; serial
	28800 ; refresh
	7200 ; retry
	604800 ; expire
	86400 ; ttk
	)
@ IN NS brokerserver.
18.1 IN PTR brokerserver.
1.1 IN PTR czar.

	Also in editing out the above I suspect that you have '('
	on a line by itself.  '(' tells the parser to treat end of
	line as white space until the closing ')'.   It MUST appear
	on the first line of a multi-line record.

	Also white space or the lack of it at the start of a record
	is important.  It was impossible to see where the white space
	was because it was lost in the cut and pasting.

	Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org