DNS not working

Barry Margolin barry.margolin at level3.com
Fri Aug 29 16:05:07 UTC 2003

In article <bint4c$12bh$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Yogish <yogish.gk at ahsinc.com> wrote:
>here is a plain text of all the files.

Your named.conf file is missing the following statements:

zone "brokerserver" {
  type master;
  file "brokerserver.zone";
};
zone "in-addr.arpa" {
  type master;
  file "ARPA";
};

>brokerserver.zone file
>

>$TTL 86400
>
>@ IN SOA brokerserver. hostmaster.brokerserver. (
>
>1 ; serial
>
>28800 ; refresh
>
>7200 ; retry
>
>604800 ; expire
>
>86400 ; ttl
>
>)

I'm not sure whether it's required or not, but it's conventional to indent
the lines between ( and ).

>IN NS brokerserver.
>

>IN A 192.168.1.18

It's *definitely* necessary to indent the above two lines.

>schuh. IN A 192.168.1.4
>
>czar. IN A 192.168.1.1

These names aren't in the zone being defined in the file.  They should be:

schuh.brokerserver. IN A 192.168.1.4
czar.brokerserver.  IN A 192.168.1.1

>localhost IN A 127.0.0.1
>

>ARPA file
>
>$TTL 86400
>
>@ IN SOA brokerserver. hostmaster.brokerserver.
>
>(
>
>1 ; serial
>
>28800 ; refresh
>
>7200 ; retry
>
>604800 ; expire
>
>86400 ; ttk
>
>)
>

>@ IN NS brokerserver.
>
>18.1.168.192 IN PTR brokerserver.
>
>1.1.168.192 IN PTR czar.

To match the change I made above, that should be:

1.1.168.192 IN PTR czar.brokerserver.

Barry Margolin, barry.margolin at level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA