dig source port patch

Barry Margolin barry.margolin at level3.com
Thu Aug 28 18:50:44 UTC 2003

In article <bilge6$20rm$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
Simon Waters  <Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>On the other hand one cache (not BIND) uses a different source port for
>each query because this makes it harder to spoof answers (the DNS
>antispoofing mechanism being quite weak).

While this may be good from a security standpoint, it doesn't seem
practical for high-volume resolvers.

If you're processing hundreds of queries/second, this would hog an awful
lot of ports.  I presume the port is reserved for a particular query until
it either gets a response or times out.  Since there are so many bad
delegations out there (especially for reverse DNS), they'll wait for
timeouts very often.  I could easily imagine running out of ports.

Barry Margolin, barry.margolin at level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA