client behavior - cname vs A record

Wang Chung wangchung143 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 28 04:59:10 UTC 2003

Assuming that a client follows RFC standards (I know I assume a bit too much
;) ), how would a client behave in this situation?

A client makes a request for a hostname which is actually cnamed to another
hostname.

Now, the answer he will receive will have the cname record with a ttl, as
well as the A record (for the cname target hostname) with a ttl value as
well.

What ttl value will be honored? In other words, will the client re-request
name resolution when the cname or A record ttl is reached?

Thanks
Wang