BIND9 and Signals

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Wed Aug 27 19:44:51 UTC 2003

dj <drnj at freemail.redherring.co.uk> wrote:
> Does BIND-9 respond to kill -HUP and kill -ILL or does one have to use rndc

Reading the manual reveals the surpricing fact :
3.4.2. Signals

Certain UNIX signals cause the name server to take specific actions, as described in the following table.
These signals can be sent using the kill command.

 SIGHUP
            Causes the server to read named.conf and reload
            the database.
 SIGTERM
            Causes the server to clean up and exit.
 SIGINT