Hosting multiple TLDs

G. Roderick Singleton gerry at pathtech.org
Wed Aug 27 16:29:36 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 12:18, Joseph S D Yao wrote:

> > >     gerry> I haven't followed the thread but if the subject is any
> > >     gerry> indication of the question then the answer ought to be that
> > >     gerry> you don't host TLDs. That is the function of the root
> > >     gerry> servers.
> > >
> > > Er no. Your statement will be a big surprise to the root server
> > > operators. The root servers don't "host TLDs". They serve the root
> > > zone. Each TLD has its own set of name servers. And apart from .arpa
> > > (for historical reasons) no TLD is served or hosted on the root name
> > > servers.
> >
> > Oops ;-( You are right. Still one should not get the idea that
> > individual machines can host the TLDs themselves rather they should
> > remember that host domains that are members of any TLD.
>
> This is actually a good illustration of why replying in the middle of a
> thread is a bad idea.  The original author clarified and corrected her
> query long ago, in her next posting.  She wanted to know whether, as
> some at her location were insisting, a .edu name server was forbidden
> from serving names IN other TLDs.  She was, of course, reinforced in
> her conviction that no such prohibition exists.

Thanks you Joe. I made a mistake and have apologized for it, if the
message ever gets posted. In this case the thread had gone on past the
first couple of messages and so I came to the conclusion that the
previous answers were inadequate because of the repetition.

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

--
Gerry Roderick Singleton <gerry at pathtech.org>
416-452-4583