DDNS

Neil Koozer neilkoozer at adelphia.net
Fri Aug 22 13:55:25 UTC 2003

Kevin Darcy wrote:

> Neil Koozer wrote:

>> [...]
>> >
>> >       I see no errors.  The DHCP server asked that the operation only
>> >       be performed if the pre-conditions were met.  They were not
>> >       met so the operation was not performed.
>> >
>> >       Mark
>>
>> Mark
>>
>> I see that you're with ISC, so I was wondering if you could possibly
>> shed a bit more light on this problem.  Presumably there is no error
>> on the part of named, but there is an error someplace because the
>> dns+dhcp system does not work.  In my case I have the dns & dhcp
>> servers on the same machine, and approx 15 clients.  All the clients
>> successfully get ip addresses from dhcp, and they all get name service
>> from dns.  I set up the dns part using the book 'DNS & BIND' and I set
>> up dhcp using the example dhcpd.conf and man dhcpd.conf.  I've tried
>> it with and without TSIG.  In all of my trials, both dns and dhcp
>> worked fine, but there has never been a successful update to dns (when
>> dhcpd issues a new ip number).  Named has never written a journal
>> file, and I always get the above messages.
>>
>> In the case of 'name not in use', what name? and not in use by whom?
>> My domain has a name and all clients have names, and they are in the
>> zone files as written by h2n.
>>
>> In the case of 'RRset exists...' it would seem intuative that those
>> exist since named is working and issuing name service, and it would
>> seem that dhcpd should not demand the non-existence of the things that
>> it is supposed to update.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated; I want to take this thing to work after
>> it works at home, but a year's searching has been futile so far.
>
> Why are you populating your zone files with h2n *and* trying to populate
> them dynamically with DHCP+DDNS? Seems like you'd either do one or the
> other, not both. I'm not surprised you're getting conflicts that way...
>

> - Kevin

Well... I did it because I RTFM'ed.  I thought of the possiblity that the
zone files should be empty (in spite of the explicit instructions to
populate them), so I tested this by removing the records for one host from
the zone files.  I chose a host that I know gets a new IP address every
time it boots up in the opposite operating system (Win & Linux).  The only
net effect is that the records for that host remain absent from the zone
files.  The dhcp server always trys to do the update, but those messages
mentioned above still show up in the dns log file.  I would think that the
'name not in use' message is now telling the truth.  The only logical
interpretation of this is that the name must be in the zone file in order
to be updated, except it doesn't work whether the name is there of not.

Neil.