ACL and keys

Mark Damrose mdamrose at elgin.cc.il.us
Fri Aug 22 12:09:54 UTC 2003

"Ladislav Vobr" <lvobr at ies.etisalat.ae> wrote in message
news:bi4q0e$2tlc$1 at sf1.isc.org...
> Dear Kevin,
>
>     I tried it, but not successful. posting my setup....
>
> acl slaves {
>          194.170.1.11;
> };
>
> include "sharedsecret.txt";
>
> acl notslaves { ! slaves; };
>
> options {
>         directory "/usr/local/dns/ns0.bind-8.3.6/zones";
>         datasize 20M;
>         listen-on { 194.170.1.12; };
>         allow-transfer { ! notslaves; key tsigkey; };

The order matters.  BIND stops checking once it finds a match.  In your
list, notslaves matches and is denied without ever checking the key.

I believe you want either
allow-transfer { slaves; key tsigkey; };
which will allow slaves or those with the key (all others denied by
default). or

allow-transfer { key tsigkey; ! notslaves; slaves};
which will allow anybody with the key, deny notslaves if they don't have the
key, and then allow slaves without the key.