DDNS

Neil Koozer neilkoozer at adelphia.net
Thu Aug 21 13:18:51 UTC 2003

Mark_Andrews at isc.org wrote in message news:<bgdr05$24ue$1 at sf1.isc.org>...
> > Any ideas on how to fix these errors in Bind 9.2.2
[...]
> > Aug  1 08:27:47 ns3 named[21372]: client 10.11.32.11#32777: updating zone
> > dhcp.mydoman.com /IN': update failed: 'name not in use' prerequisite not
> > satisfied (YXDOMAIN)
> > Aug  1 08:27:47 ns3 named[21372]: client 10.11.32.11#32777: updating zone
> > dhcp.mydoman.com /IN': update failed: 'RRset exists (value dependent)'
> > prerequisite not satisfied (NXRRSET)
> >
> > It doesn't seem to let me update my dhcp zone.  Could this be a time issue
> > between the 2 servers?  I run a master named server that gets updated by the
> > secondary named server that also run dhcp.  Any help is appreciated??
>
> 	I see no errors.  The DHCP server asked that the operation only
> 	be performed if the pre-conditions were met.  They were not
> 	met so the operation was not performed.
>
> 	Mark

Mark

I see that you're with ISC, so I was wondering if you could possibly
shed a bit more light on this problem.  Presumably there is no error
on the part of named, but there is an error someplace because the
dns+dhcp system does not work.  In my case I have the dns & dhcp
servers on the same machine, and approx 15 clients.  All the clients
successfully get ip addresses from dhcp, and they all get name service
from dns.  I set up the dns part using the book 'DNS & BIND' and I set
up dhcp using the example dhcpd.conf and man dhcpd.conf.  I've tried
it with and without TSIG.  In all of my trials, both dns and dhcp
worked fine, but there has never been a successful update to dns (when
dhcpd issues a new ip number).  Named has never written a journal
file, and I always get the above messages.

In the case of 'name not in use', what name? and not in use by whom?
My domain has a name and all clients have names, and they are in the
zone files as written by h2n.

In the case of 'RRset exists...' it would seem intuative that those
exist since named is working and issuing name service, and it would
seem that dhcpd should not demand the non-existence of the things that
it is supposed to update.

Any help would be appreciated; I want to take this thing to work after
it works at home, but a year's searching has been futile so far.

TIA,
Neil