dig confusion

José Enrique Díaz Jolly enrique at podernet.com.mx
Thu Aug 21 04:19:12 UTC 2003

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Gary Armstrong wrote:

=>Yes I'm as new as they get to bind and associated tools, please bear the
=>simple question.
=>
=>
=>I'm trying to set up a local DNS server, which seems to be mostly working.
=>
=>- If I do a nslookup 'host', I'm returned the expected information.
=>- If I do a dig 'fully-qualified-host', I'm also returned the correct info.
=>- If I dig 'host', there is no answer section and the authority is
=>root(.) info.
=>
=>I do have a domain 'mylocal.mydom.com' line in /etc/resolv.conf.
=>
=>
=>Is this correct behavior or have I messed it up? (ie does dig require
=>fully qualified hostname to answer)
=>
=>If the problem is me, could you point me at a starting place?

I don't see any problem at all, it is natural. You may be wondering why.
Well, when you do an nslookup or dig upon a full-qualified host, you are using
standard resolving facilities for your queries, in the first case you are
using your resources to make nslookup query on either of your /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver records and they do the job. On the other hand, for a dig to a fqdn
you ask your NS directly to do the job, it is easily done because you have
either the path to resolve a fqdn (with hints) or it is authoritativ on your
NS. In this case you also have the NS search based on your nameserver records
on resolv.conf. In the third case, you don't have a way to query your dns nor
it has any way to guess you are looking for a name inside your own domain.
Still using your resolv.conf for finding your NS but nothing more.

Hope I explained myself!

--

-- 'Tis true; there's magic in the web of it. --Othello (III.iv.69) ---

The river is within us, the sea is all about us.
José Enrique Díaz Jolly				e-mail: enrique at podernet.com.mx
Av. Mazatlán 77-35				   Tel: +52 (55) 5211-2896
Condesa						   Fax: +52 (55) 5212-0360
México, 06140 D.F.				Mobile: +52 55-2653-3029