Creating cname

Jeff Donovan jdonovan at beth.k12.pa.us
Wed Aug 20 17:43:22 UTC 2003

Greetings
if you have edited your forward and reverse records, and incremented
the serial number,
and performed an ndc restart.
you should be able to do an nslookup myhost.com and return the ip
address of the machine.
second , do an nslookup on  the ip address of the server and the
results should be your new cname.

post your results for us so we may better help you. :)

If connection resolution is fine, then someone's arp table may need to
be flushed or something.

--jeff
On Wednesday, August 20, 2003, at 12:33 PM, Sharon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When I create a cname for a server it creates ok on my primary dns
> server.It creates ok and I can ping it and it responds successfully.
> However, when I try to connect to it I get a 'You are not connected
> because a duplicate name exists on the network' error. This server I
> must add is a new server replacing an old one, hence the same name on
> the network again. However, I get the same error if I create a cname
> for any machine at all. I do not have any other cname records. The DNS
> server has been up and running for some time now and this is the only
> problem I have come across. There is nothing in the event logs to help
> me out. Any pointers are well and truely appreciated.
>
> Many thanks to all.

Jeff Donovan
BASD Network Operations
AIM xT donovan