dig confusion

Gary Armstrong garyarm at testedgeinc.com
Wed Aug 20 16:28:40 UTC 2003

Yes I'm as new as they get to bind and associated tools, please bear the
simple question.

I'm trying to set up a local DNS server, which seems to be mostly working.

- If I do a nslookup 'host', I'm returned the expected information.
- If I do a dig 'fully-qualified-host', I'm also returned the correct info.
- If I dig 'host', there is no answer section and the authority is
root(.) info.

I do have a domain 'mylocal.mydom.com' line in /etc/resolv.conf.

Is this correct behavior or have I messed it up? (ie does dig require
fully qualified hostname to answer)

If the problem is me, could you point me at a starting place?

TIA
Gary