Dynamic updates

jose.a.campos at exxonmobil.com jose.a.campos at exxonmobil.com
Tue Aug 19 13:12:39 UTC 2003

been having some "problems" with W2K SRV registration. Since finding info
about how Windows works has been a very frustrating experience, I'd figure
perhaps they do follow some RFC standards. That's why I'm asking this
forum.

I'd like to know :
1) according to RFC 2136 - a dynamic update can either be performed via UDP
or TCP.  How is this determined? In other words, how do I know which
protocol is being used at a given time.

2) what happens during the actual zone update?  Does Bind quit answering
questions for that specific zone , while the update takes place?
What happens if there are multiple update requests arriving at the same
time , from different sources ? Does the first one get in while the other
ones get bloked out?

3) What happens if Bind is in the process of writing the zone to disk and
an update request arrive?

Thanks.