Should it take 4 days + to see DNS changes - aka GraniteCanyon Publishing speed

lovebunny22 at super_spam_catcher_no_no.com.easynews.com lovebunny22 at super_spam_catcher_no_no.com.easynews.com
Sat Aug 16 06:40:41 UTC 2003

Hello,

How long does it take in general to see DNS changes? With Register.com,
I see changes usually in 24hours or less.

But publishing a new domain with GraniteCanyon.com, it's been 3 days and
still no luck and this is after I got the message

"DNS updates COMPLETE

> This is an automatic email to notify you that changes to the
> following zone have been integrated and will be published within
> 24 hours:

>         tavasmiley.com. 43200 IN SOA ns1.granitecanyon.com."

This message was generated by GraniteCanyon on Tue, 12 Aug 2003 19:54:34
-0600.

I got no errors at all when submitting my RR records.

When I do an NSlookup on ns1.granitecanyon.com I get:
Server:  ns1.granitecanyon.com
Address:  205.166.226.38

Name:    tavasmiley.com
Served by:
- H.GTLD-SERVERS.NET
          192.54.112.30
          com
- I.GTLD-SERVERS.NET
          192.43.172.30
          com
- J.GTLD-SERVERS.NET
          192.48.79.30
          com
- K.GTLD-SERVERS.NET
          192.52.178.30
          com
- L.GTLD-SERVERS.NET
          192.41.162.30
          com
- M.GTLD-SERVERS.NET
          192.55.83.30
          com
- A.GTLD-SERVERS.NET
          192.5.6.30
          com
- B.GTLD-SERVERS.NET
          192.33.14.30
          com
- C.GTLD-SERVERS.NET
          192.26.92.30
          com
- D.GTLD-SERVERS.NET
          192.31.80.30
          com

So I guess these servers have my info, but my comcast dns servers -
68.46.144.6
24.3.196.33 never heard of tavasmiley.com.

Also, ns2.granitecanyon.com doesn't even seem to be operating and I
understand that just because a name server is listed second doesn't mean
it's polled for dns info secondarily, which means maybe
ns2.granitecanyon.com is being polled and not providing info? So
basically it looks like granite is using only 1 name server in the
granitecanyon.com set.

My RR records are here:

tavasmiley.com. IN  NS ns1.granitecanyon.com.
tavasmiley.com. IN  NS ns2.granitecanyon.com.
tavasmiley.com. IN  RP tava.somedomain223gg.com. tavasmiley.com.
tavasmiley.com. IN  TXT "My Name"
localhost.tavasmiley.com. IN  A  127.0.0.1
tavasmiley.com. IN  A  68.44.21.60
*.tavasmiley.com. IN  MX  10  tavasmiley.com. ; GLOBALOK
tavasmiley.com. IN  MX  10  tavasmiley.com.

Is it because GraniteCanyon is a small outfit that they don't get
propagated around the net quickly? Is it because Register.com is much
higher on the food chain or because maybe they own one of the primary
DNS servers?

Since my static IP address sometimes changes, I would like to be able to
get my DNS changes published all over in 24 hours or less...and I was
thinking of maybe using DNSmadeasy.com - but who knows, except by maybe
trial and error, if they would propagate more quickly than
granitecanyon.

Anyone have some practical experience on propagation times with various
DNS providers? Should this really take 4 days or more?

Thanks!

Love,

Me