fixing reverse resolution for our subnet. and one more question

Barry Margolin barry.margolin at level3.com
Fri Aug 15 20:48:34 UTC 2003

In article <bhjfei$156e$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Scott Gibbs <sgibbs at sfmx.org> wrote:
>So I did a little bit more research and I couldn't find any examples
>of the cname setup to guide me and the tech support guy at sgi was
>stumped as well and said C&W should be using PTR records. But before I
>contact C&W I wan't to make sure I have my ducks in a row -- based on
>past experience with phone companies.

This setup is described in RFC 2317.  It's also in the O'Reilly "DNS &
BIND" book in the section titled "Subnetting on a Non-Octet Boundary".

You should put your PTR records in your named.hosts file, as follows:

208.142.133.10				IN PTR	gw
208.142.133.11				IN PTR	ns
208.142.133.12				IN PTR	ns2
208.142.133.13				IN PTR	www