DNS Lying to Linux Clients ?

Bob Elliott relliott at paonline.com
Fri Aug 15 13:33:27 UTC 2003

Folks,

Is it possible to use DNS Lying with Linux clients ?

DNS Lying is when a DNS server lies to clients directing them to a
specific web site (like a sign in page) regardless of what host the
client asks for.

What I'm finding is that it does not work with Red Hat 8 and Mandrake
9 clients (only ones tested so far).    It works with Windows and
MacOS clients.

Using pseudo-DNS language....

QUERY = I want the A record for www.google.com

ANSWER = You asked for the A record of www.google.com.
	   The A record of www.the-signin-page.ourschool.edu is 192.168.1.1

If I try to ping or browse I can see that two requests are made to the
DNS server.  And each time the DNS server replies with the expected
answer (name: www.the-signin-page.ourschool.edu  and  address:  the ip
address)    However the client will then say "unknown host" for pings
and "page not found" when trying to browse.

I think the Linux resolver is ignoring the answer because it
doesn't match any queries that were sent.

Can anyone confirm that this is how the Linux resolver behaves?

Is there any work around on the Linux client side ?

Is there any work around on the DNS server side ?

Thanks all,   Bob Elliott