Recent problems with Reverse DNS.

Brett Simpson simpsonb at hillsboroughcounty.org
Wed Aug 13 18:29:03 UTC 2003

Brett Simpson  <simpsonb at hillsboroughcounty.org> wrote:
>>Three weeks ago our internal clients were able to connect to hosts by ip
>>address quickly. Then we started noticing slow connection to various
internal
>>host by IP address. If I add a host entry of my workstation to the server
I'm
>>connecting to then things are fast again. Sounds like a Reverse DNS problem.
>>So I updated our db.cache file (which contains the root servers) on both DNS
>>server and things seemed to be fast again after restarting Bind. But then 10
>>minutes later things slowed down again.
>>Our hosts that have public IPs with FQDN are fine. Just the internal hosts
>>have problems.

>Barry Margolin <barry.margolin () level3 ! com> wrote:
>If the internal hosts are using private addresses, then you need to have
>local zone files for the reverse domains.  The nameservers that the RFC
>1918 reverse domains are delegated to don't always respond in a timely
>fashion.

Hmm... I have a large number of internal private subnets. Making these local
zone file for reverse lookups would take some time considering I have about
100 subnets. Is their some sort of short cut to the process?

Like for example is there a setting in Bind 9 that will allow me to say that
any host on the 192.168.60.x subnet will get a reverse response (a dummy one)
without having to specify every host and IP address in the zone?

Or if that's not possible how about a utility that will allow me to generate a
reverse zone file quickly based on the subnet I give it?