Can I set FOUR domain name servers?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Aug 12 20:15:01 UTC 2003

Francesco Moi wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I've got a domain (foo.com) registered at myregistrar.com, and
> two web hosters (webhoster1 and webhoster2).
>
> My domain registrar lets me customize my domain's name servers. So,
> I set four servers:
> ns1.webhoster1.com
> ns2.webhoster1.com
> ns1.myregistrar.com
> ns2.myregistrar.com
>
> My webhoster1 lets me to create a lot of subdomains, so at
> ns1.webhoster1.com (and ns2), I set sub1.foo.com to be hosted
> at webhoster1.
>
> My webhoster2 has an IP (33.33.33.33), and if access to
> http://33.33.33.33, I access to my webpage.
>
> So I set at ns1.myregistrar.com that any petitions to sub2.foo.com
> be redirected to 33.33.33.33. And I don't mentioned anything about
> sub1.foo.com.
>
> Will this work? Will petitions follow nsX.webhoster1.com for sub1
> and nsX.myregistrar.com for sub2 ???

If you have delegated sub2.foo.com to 33.33.33.33, then whatever
nameserver is answering on that address will be queried for names in the
zone. Note, however, that delegations are made to nameserver *names*,
not directly to IP addresses.

Is there any particular reason you don't give the real names, so that we
could check whether it is delegated correctly?

- Kevin