secondary server install

David Botham dns at botham.net
Mon Aug 11 18:44:53 UTC 2003

DNS
> > services if they had to ensure that *all* their customers were
running
> the
> > same version of BIND as they were.  In fact, a large number of our
> > customers aren't even running BIND at all -- Windows 2000 DNS has
become
> > very popular in the past few years.
>
> This answer does not compute. He's discussing a master and slave, not
> master DNS server and the DNS *client* on a user's desktop. Slaves are
> used to publish the DNS information to spare DNS servers, so if the
> first one is unavailable or farther away the client will speak to the
> nearer server.

I think the answer does compute.  I think the respondent is saying that
his customers (he is probably working at an ISP) use various
implementations of name servers, including w2k dns, whereby he provides
slave name services and the customer is the master (or possibly the
other way around).  However, I didn't read the response as a discussion
of DNS clients running on any platform.

Dave...

[clip...]