nslookup, hostname, host oddities

Edvard Tuinder bindlist at lunytune.nl
Wed Aug 6 23:51:16 UTC 2003

According to mgd:
> 3) I am trying to resolve an issue with sendmail. Regardless of the account
> from which I want to send my email, the source address is always:
> account at ns.domain.com. As an example, suppose I have a virtual site
> domain1.com with a user account called luser. If I were to send an email
> form this account it would appear in mutt or mail as: luser at ns.domain.com,
> not luser at domain1.com.

This is a sendmail configuration issue, not a bind/dns issue.
Look at masquerading for sendmail, or set hostname="some.thing" for
mutt.

> domain1.com.fwd
> $TTL 3600
> @ IN SOA domain1.com. sa.domain.com.  (
>     20030726302 ; Serial
>     21600  ; Refresh
>     1800  ; Retry
>     1209600  ; Expire
>     432000 ) ; Minimum
>  IN NS ns.domain.com.
>  IN NS clgrps01.agt.net.
>  IN MX 10 ns.domain.com.
>  IN MX 20 smtp.telus.com.
>  IN MX 30 smtp1.telus.com.
> www IN A x.x.x.x
> ftp IN CNAME www
>
> If I issue the command hostname, I get ns.domain.com.
> If I issue the command host ns.domain.com, I get Host not found.

Which is correct. There is no host ns defined within this zone.

Do remember that there is NO relation whatsoever between /etc/hosts
and DNS.

If you want a host to exist within DNS, you have to define it within DNS.

So add a line to the zone files for domain.com and domain1.com similarly
to the www entry.

Yes, you might be able to ping/telnet/something to ns.domain.com,
but that is a resolver function, which is not quite a DNS function. The
resolver for your system might look at /etc/hosts, but dns does not.

> I am thinking that my sendmail issues are related to bind/dns. Can anyone
> offer suggestions as where to look to help resolve this issue?

See above. The sendmail issue is exactely that.

-Ed