How can I tell a host name from a subdomain

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Aug 5 23:08:07 UTC 2003

Sam Kong wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I hope I am posting a message to a right group.
>
> Somebody gave me her web site address.
>
> It's like vi.somename.com .
> (somename is an example and vi and com are real).
>
> vi.somename.com could be a host name and a subdomain.
> Is there a way to tell one from the other without asking her?

Technically every DNS name (except the root name) is a "subdomain" of
some other DNS name. It's a purely relative term, like "subdirectory",
"subcategory" and so forth.

Why do you care about the difference between a host name and a
subdomain? You access it via a browser the same way regardless.

- Kevin