Restricting allow-query for private network, permit for public?

Christian Fowler google at N0SPAMgravesweeper.com
Tue Aug 5 00:54:49 UTC 2003

i have a machine running a primary nameserver for foo.com and a gateway for a
192.168. network (via two ethernet cards)

currently the nameserver happily serves out public IP's for foo.com and all
it's hosts. I would like to add some 192.168.1.XXX hosts, however, I would
like to restrict the ability to look up 192 hosts to the 192.168.1.0/24
network. So the world can lookup www.foo.com and get a public IP, while only
my internal network can lookup private.foo.com and get 192.168.1.4 - if a
public request comes in for private.foo.com it won't work.

I have submerged myself in the "BIND 9 Administrator Reference Manual" for
hours and give up. Is such a thing even possible to do on the same nameserver
or do I run two different named daemons w/ diff't named.conf's ?

Thanks!

--
\ /
>X< Christian Fowler