Bind Software diversity

Ladislav Vobr lvobr at ies.etisalat.ae
Tue Aug 5 08:14:09 UTC 2003

We have three public recursive servers serving large number of
customers. I am purposely keeping software diversity among them. So I
have one 8.3.4 and the other two 9.2.2.  I am even thinking of having
different nameserver software to keep the code base diversity and make
the system more resistant to different kinds of
faults/errors/bugs/attacks. The factor of code diversity should be also
considered, when recommending people to upgrade. Having all the
nameservers the same, although latest release is not the best solution
in my opinion. Any other experience with the similar setup. Shouldn't we
think about running bind in combination with other solution, not because
we prefer each other, but because it might be better at the end ? Or
what is the opinion of the bind community ?

Ladislav