Two masters for one zone

Walt Howard howard at rumba.ee.ualberta.ca
Fri Aug 1 00:10:09 UTC 2003

In article <bgc5eo$11og$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
Herb Martin <news at LearnQuick.com> wrote:
>You could use a Win2000+ DNS server running
>on a Domain Controller (perhaps a dedicated domain
>just for this purpose) provide the two or more "Masters".
>
>It's not BIND but if you need it, there is is.  BIND secondaries
>are supported.
>
>Technically their called "Active Directory Integrated DNS
>Servers" but as a 'set' they play the role of Primary DNS.
>
>How hard would it be to add multi-mastering to BIND9?
>(I have been thinking about it anyway...)

Multi-mastering in a way that guarantees the masters will all
converge to the same set of information, is a problem which no
one has yet (so far as I know) solved.  Microsoft certainly
hasn't - they have a solution that works "well enough" "most
of the time" for their very patient customers.  MSDNS consumes
a lot of network bandwidth, and can be pushed into an inconsistent
state with little effort, and also manages to mismanage the
SOA serial numbers.

So the answer to your question comes down to "if you will accept
Microsoft's definition of reliable, pretty easy.  If you want
IETF's definition of reliable, no one admits to knowing how".

--
Walt Howard                         /"\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
InterNet: whoward at ieee.org          \ /  No HTML or M$Word in mail or news!