Complete newbie

DvDmanDT dvdmandt at telia.com
Fri Aug 1 14:55:10 UTC 2003

But then how did l33t.ca do it then? And also, I do know how to script
things so updating wouldn't be a problem... Also, changing every 6-12th
month is ok... I probably wont be dealing with outside subdomains, maybe for
some friend or something...

--
// DvDmanDT
MSN: dvdmandt at hotmail.com
Mail: dvdmandt at telia.com
"Kevin Darcy" <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> skrev i meddelandet
news:bgbub0$s65$1 at sf1.isc.org...
> It's generally not a good idea to host a DNS zone on a dynamic address
(even
> though you may have been lucky so far, don't assume you'll always get the
same
> address from DHCP forever). If the address ever changes, you would need to
not
> only update the records in your own domain, but also in the parent domain.
> Also, any slaves for the zone would need to have their zone-transfer
parameters
> updated to reflect the new address. Basically it's very messy and you'll
be at
> least partially broken until it all gets changed over.
>
> If you can somehow get a static address, e.g. buy that as a value-added
service
> from your ISP, and you want to start hosting your domain, then you'd need
some
> delegation records from the parent domain which should match the NS
records in
> the zone itself. You need *two* nameservers for every zone, for purposes
of
> redundancy, preferably on different networks, but it would probably be OK
if
> you could convince your ISP to be a slave for your zone.
>
> Once you have that zone delegated and set up, you can add anything you
want
> under it. See how to set up master zones in the documentation that comes
with
> BIND 9 and/or the _DNS_and_BIND_ book from O'Reilly. That'll answer your
> questions about rndc-confgen too...
>

> - Kevin
>
> DvDmanDT wrote:
>
> > Hmm... Guess noone felt like helping me then... Do you guys think tha
Apache
> > ppl will answer my questions? I really want answers... BIND seems
good...

> > --
> > // DvDmanDT
> > MSN: dvdmandt at hotmail.com
> > Mail: dvdmandt at telia.com
> > "DvDmanDT" <dvdmandt at telia.com> skrev i meddelandet
> > news:bg3p7f$20vi$1 at sf1.isc.org...
> > > Hello everyone... I'm a complete newbie to BIND... I'm familar with
Apache