Stopped hosting site; can't get there from here

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Thu Sep 26 20:01:13 UTC 2002

> Pardon my bad terminology; I don't even know if I'm saying this correctly.
> Here's an issue I'm hoping to get guidance on:
>
> I inherited a system. It used to host widget.org, but widget.org moved to
> another provider. I removed the db.widget file from /var/named, and I
> removed all references to widget.org from my db.hostname SOA table. Yet
> widget.org is not reachable in a browser from within hostname.org's
network.
> (Yes, it resolves from outside the network. There is no problem with
> widget.org on its new provider.) Which seems to indicate to me that I
missed
> something in /var/named. Or somewhere else.
>
> Would someone kindly tell me what I'm missing?

After you removed db.widget, did you also remove the zone statement
for widget.org from named.conf?  After you did that, did you reconfig
or restart the name server?

If your resolver caches, did you clear the cache?

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software, Training and Consulting
www.menandmice.com

The DNS and BIND Cookbook, coming October 2002!
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dnsbindckbk/