Human Errors as a Cause of DNS Failure

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Thu Sep 26 17:31:52 UTC 2002

> Does anyone have available a compendium of typical human errors that cause
> DNS failures? Operational procedure recommendations to help avoid these
> errors would be appreciated as well.
>
> I would be interested in concrete data regarding how typical these
failures
> are and what the costs of these failures are to those experiencing them.

The results of our latest survey of 5000 subdomains of com is now online
at http://www.menandmice.com/6000/61_recent_survey.html.  You might
find that interesting:  It gives statistics on common misconfigurations.

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software, Training and Consulting
www.menandmice.com

The DNS and BIND Cookbook, coming October 2002!
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dnsbindckbk/