how to list ALL zones of my master server

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Thu Sep 26 17:30:23 UTC 2002

On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 07:08:21AM -0700, Yang xiao wrote:
> isn't this is why you have master and slave to begin with? so the
> master can update the slave automatically?
>
> trying to reinvent the wheel?

NO.

For any given domain, one server may be master and another the slave.
For any other domain, this could be reversed, or one could be the
master with a different slave, or one could be the slave with a
different master.

Only AFTER this relationship [which may be seen as "meta" zone
information] is established, do the servers pass zone information from
the "master" for any given zone to the "slave" for any given zone.

For sites with simple relationships, they may choose to have one name
server be the "master" for all sites, and the other name servers be its
"slave"s.  In this case, the question often arises, how to use BIND to
pass the information along to the slave(s) that the master has added or
deleted a zone.

The answer, of course, is that this "meta" zone information is not
something that BIND passes on.  An out-of-band solution must be found.

It sounds like the original requestor does in fact have a less simple
case, and needs more than a simple enumeration.

--
Joe Yao				jsdy at center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support					EMT-B