Restrict Recursive Queries

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Wed Sep 25 16:42:00 UTC 2002

> I am an ISP and am wanting to restrict who uses my DNS server, I.E. my
> competitor's.  I have a DNS (Bind 9.1.1, RH 7.1) server that serves as
both
> a Name Server and Caching server.  I think the following would be correct,
> but would like for someone to verify this for me:
>
>                     view     "internal"   {
>                                  match-clients { my.own.ip.block/24; };
>                                 recursion yes;
>
>                     view     "external"    {
>                                 match-clients    { any; };
>                                 recursion no;

That will restrict recursive queries to your own IP block.  You'll also need
a curly brace to close each view statement; e.g.,

view internal {
    match-clients { 192.168.0/24; };
    recursion yes;
};

view external {
    match-clients { any; };
    recursion no;
};

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software, Training and Consulting
www.menandmice.com

The DNS and BIND Cookbook, coming October 2002!
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dnsbindckbk/