IPv6 DNS requests? should we even be seeing these?

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Wed Sep 25 01:13:30 UTC 2002

At 06:41 PM 9/22/02, Simon Waters wrote:
> > Secondly, even the name that does exist is refused by our DNS servers.
> > I am guessing that is because we aren't resolving to an IPv6.
>
>If I ask for AAAA, and it doesn't exists, that is an NXDOMAIN,
>and cached.
>
>If you are "refusing" to answer for some reason, then don't be
>surprised if they ask again!

You shouldn't be getting an NXDOMAIN for a AAAA query. You should
be getting a NOERROR no records in the Answer section and the SOA
record in the authority section. Unless of course the domain itself does
not exist.

A query for the A record is a different query that should succeed.

Oddly enough I just saw a similar problem show up on a different
mailing list.  A lookup for the AAAA record for www.cdw.com returns an
NXDOMAIN RCODE even though the domain exists and a query for
the A record for www.cdw.com succeeds, sometimes. When it does
succeed, the A record has a TTL for 30 seconds.

Danny