creeping death ???

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Sep 25 00:25:43 UTC 2002

Tommy McLeod wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> we have a wee problem,
>
> we provide Name Services for iea-shc.org. I can query this from almost
> anywhere in the world (can get SOA's etc), however, I have some people
> trying to get to www.iea-shc.org from finland, denmark and now Sweden
> who are unable to resolve anything, they cant even get soa's for the
> domain.
>
> I have checked this from the states, malaysia, the netherlands etc etc
> and they all seem to be able to et the required info and resolve the
> hosts, I have come up through the root .org servers and they have also
> provided the correct information.
>
> Heres the funny part, we serve ns requests for vuw.ac.nz, the affected
> servers in finland and denmark can resolve those perfectly, they get
> soa's etc but still cant get iea-shc.org ... but the rest of the world
> can ... hte DNS is on the same box, UDP/53 traffic is not firewalled or
> blocked in any way, and the bind version is 8.3.3
>
> Any ideas ???

The only thing that comes to mind is that the .org servers aren't going to
provide glue records since the delegations in this case are in a ccTLD
(which the .org servers don't serve), whereas when these Scandinavian
servers query something in vuw.ac.nz, they get glue records all of the way
down the delegation chain. If the Scandinavian nameservers aren't smart
enough to re-query for glue records, they'll get stuck. They'd have to be
pretty dumb, though, and if they were _that_ dumb, they'd be having
trouble with a lot more domains than just iea-shc.org...

- Kevin (former Vic student)