Advise on idea of having a Windows install slave off a Linux install

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Fri Sep 20 02:53:18 UTC 2002

At 09:25 PM 9/19/02, Bind wrote:

>I've been using Bind 8 for a few years, and am upgrading to a new Red Hat
>(7.2) Linux server, where I plan to upgrade to Bind 9.x.  I also have a
>Windows 2000 server, and would like to setup a copy of Bind on the Windows
>2000 server to be a backup (slave) to the one on the Linux box.
>
> From what I've read, this seems possible, but I'm looking for advise,
>warnings, etc, about it, before I dive in.

When you install BIND on Windows, just make sure you use the
directory statement in options in named.conf as named runs as a
service and there is no default directory on NT.  All files and
subdirectories are relative to this directory.

You can copy named.conf to the Windows directory from the Linux
box and then change master to slave and add the masters line.

You should look in your application event log for named error messages

There is also some information available on http://bind8nt.meiway.com/
which you should look at. It talks about BIND 8, but most of it applies
to BIND 9 as well.

Danny